Thursday, June 5

machine down......kathy down, too!

First of all, I have to say, I LOVE my Gammill longarm quilting machine.  I've even given her a name, Gladys. 
But, recently Gladys had a bit of a break down.  And when Gladys has a breakdown, so do I!  (several!!)
She put herself in ICU for 3 weeks......3 very long weeks!
The Gammill headquarters is in Missouri, along with a technician, Gerald, who is willing to chat with you on the phone and step you through some trouble shooting.
The first part I ordered was this complicated motor board....it's pretty serious!
 
 
My hubby & I took out the old one (only 2 years old - that's not old at all!) and installed the new one. 
Flipped the "go" switch and she gave me the same message she'd been giving me for days, "improper response from motor drive". 
WHAT???
So I called the Gammill people again - Gerald sent me a new motor switch.
 
 
Again, we took out the old one and installed this new one.
Same message.....
Then I get a phone call from a fellow longarm-er, Martha, who said a technician from Washington is coming through town. 
Do I need him to make a service call? 
Through tears I screamed said, "why yes".  
A week later Andrew showed up - did his computer diagnostic thing and found this... 
Now that doesn't look right! 
Exposed wires?
 
 
 Andrew took a picture, sent the photo to Gammill and ordered two new ones.
Gammill sent them next day air - the panic in my voice and the tears in my eyes must have registered!
 
 
Here's my hubby - the new Gammill technician in my life, installing the new wires.
 
 
I have to admit - I was not myself during those 3 weeks. 
I found myself becoming crankier and crankier by the day. 
But - there's an upside to my sad story. 
While I was waiting for the UPS guy to bring parts I became reacquainted with my wonderful Janome. 
We sewed up a storm! 
I pulled out this quilt I had started on years ago and sewed, literally, for days!
 
 
I had to focus on something pleasant. 
There are 13 large lone stars - 8 half lone stars and 4 quarter lone stars. 
I'm a lone star nerd - I love making them! 
And there are 138, 4 1/2" sawtooth stars.
 
 
When I get it quilted I'll show more of it.
 
 
 
And I did a little of this one day with friends.
 
 
I know this sounds silly, but this was extremely challenging for me - having Miss Gladys take such a long break! 
She's up and running better than ever now. 
I also treated her to some shiny new wheels.
I'm so sorry to all of my customers who have been so patiently waiting for their quilts to be quilted. 
I have the best customers in the entire world...
hugs to you all!
So - what happens to you when your sewing machine goes DOWN?
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

23 comments:

  1. Oh...that is extremely frustrating - especially as you had customers waiting for their quilt!! I used to do home sewing and always had a back-up sewing machine - (of course we are talking just regular sewing machine - not a long-arm). My heart went out to you when I 'heard'. I'm glad all is well again. Love the relaxing pic of your 'down time'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My "back-up" was Martha's machine - she let me rent it for a couple of days. Thanks for your nice comments!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, frustrating to say the least! I can see why you would have a minor breakdown while Gladys was waiting for help, but oh that quilt you are making! l♥ve doesn't even begin to express how pretty it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um - my breakdowns (plural) were a little more than minor....:) I'm so happy with the star quilt - it really was fun to sew on!

      Delete
  3. I was on the last row of a customer's quilt when my long arm died. I was in a panic. BUT, a local quilt shop fit me in, sew I finished on time. I had to take my machine to Wenatchee for repairs. grrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU are amazing - and those lone stars! Great work during a frustrating time. Glad Gladys is back up and working with your talented guidance!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise. Now I can get to your lovely quilts!!!

      Delete
  5. I love your lone stars and would love to send you a quilt top. I need more information on that. I've followed the work you do and it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be happy to quilt your quilt top! Just email me! My lone stars are lovely....they'll be even lovelier when they're quilted!

      Delete
  6. Oh my that is serious stuff! Your lone star is beautiful. You are so very talented.
    Got to love the Montana scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do love lone stars! This one was challenging but I loved every minute of the construction - thanks for the compliments! Yes, Montana is gorgeous!

      Delete
  7. Holy cow that quilt is beautiful!!! You have serious skills ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh - thanks, my friend! It felt so good to get back to sewing for a bit!

      Delete
  8. This is Allison by the way...I'm signed in with my other google account. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with you.... when it changes my plans .... i feel really out of sorts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely not myself - for the entire 3 weeks! You understand!

      Delete
  10. Yikes! Gladys had major surgery. Happy to hear that she's up and running now. I thought Gladys came with the Breeze tracking system. After all that you now have a resident technician--nice. As
    expected, your lone stars are spectacular. Martha in Pocatello

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have the Breeze track system but he upgraded my wheels - SOOOOO nice! My new wheels look like little silver space ships! Thanks, Martha - I need to come for a visit!

      Delete
  11. I've seen those silver space ships--Have you noticed a difference in handling from the chrome covered wheels? Do I need them? Martha in Pocatello

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I really didn't think I would notice a difference but it's so much more smooth - no jerking, no feeling like they're off the track at all. I love them! Price = $250. Feels like a new machine - oh wait....mine is still new!!!

      Delete