Friday, July 5

vintage birthday...

I recently had another birthday...sigh.
getting older...double sigh.
So this year I decided to go shopping for old things.
And I love them all!!!
My sister & I went to a "junk fest" with my birthday money and we came home with some wonderful vintage-y treasures:
 
A pretty metal flower box including the flowers,
thanks mom & dad!
 
 
I had been searching for some large glass containers for flour & sugar with a wide enough opening so my measuring cups would fit inside...
We found these very old, like 1930's old, coffee jars.
I spray painted the turquoise lid so I need to paint the other one. 
Thanks, sister. (fist bump)
 
 
wanted needed some sort of large pot to put all of my cooking utensils in.
LOVE this gray enamel pot - it is perfect!
 
 
And look at the nifty little handle stuck to the side, I think it's for holding on to while you pour...brilliant!
 
 
I found a mini coffee jar for the hub's jaw breakers - so darn cute!
(I only have two cans of spray paint, turquoise & orange - gotta get more!)
 
 
Then I find this darling wire basket - squeal!!!

 
 Anyone who knows me knows how much I'm in love with Pyrex - solid colors! 
My heart smiled when I found this hard to find aqua colored bowl, along with its cousins, the green & pink cake rounds.
 
 
And finally - whew - I added to my collection of blue tinted Ball/Kerr/Mason jars.
I never run out of items to store in them.  They each have a unique "weathered" lid - simply charming.

 
Finding vintage treasures that I can still use......that will never get old!
 


13 comments:

  1. How fun to have created your entire kitchen around vintage - perfect! Love the little towel, too. I was at an antique fair yesterday and saw some very similar. Wanted to get a table cloth, but didn't. Maybe I should go back today....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - you should go back today and grab that table cloth....there won't be another one! I love my little vintage kitchen - thanks!

      Delete
  2. Wow you did great Kathy! That's some haul....I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite. Since I live in a 140 year old house, I really love old things too!! How's your garden coming along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lots and lots of favorite "oldies", too. See - we are soul sisters! Actually, my little garden is doing pretty well! I can see some peas and the zucchini is blossoming - yay!

      Delete
  3. Wow! You are one lucky girl and I want to go with you! Maybe some of your luck would rub off on me. Glad you had a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - we should totally go on a vintage hunt one of these days - Bozeman has some great shops!

      Delete
  4. What wonderful treasures--each one as wonderful as the former. I love those big jars. Back in the 1970s I bought them for $1.69 each for staples in my kitchen. Not long ago I found them for $10.00 each at Walmart and Target. Then I found the small ones for $1.00 each at the Dollar Tree. I bought the $1 ones and just brought home the shock of the price on the $10 ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jars - can anyone ever have too many??? Thanks for your comment - brings back serious memories of the 70's! BTW - You are a beautiful machine quilter! Those church quilts - inspiring to say the least.

      Delete
  5. You find good stuff! I have several of those jars, too. I store ribbon in them! I can never get enough of them. I also have a big jar for flour, too. Here's how I got it. Lyle (Lloyd's brother) had a great one with cookies in it. I complimented him on it. He said it was his grandma's or great grandma's jar. I told him how much I loved it. The next year for Christmas, there was a similar one under the tree for me. He said it was also his grandma's, but he was giving it to me. How sweet, huh?! I haven't had the nerve to paint the lid, though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your 'jar story'....they are old and expensive when you can find them! I had to paint these lids because they were on the verge of rusty - kind of ugly. But, I love them!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful jars! I collect them, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More jars are the best.....I just need more shelving now!

      Delete