Wednesday, August 13

oh, my stars...

I finally have a finish to share!
Several months ago my quilting machine was down for 3 very long weeks.....sad sigh.
So during that time I decided to pull out one of my unfinished quilts to work on.
This is the one I chose:
 
 
A close-up of mine:
 
 
I love American Jane patterns - by Sandy Klop.
And I love making lone stars - I know, a bit on the crazy side!
I had started it several years ago so my Janome and I spent some serious time together getting it finished.
There are 18 large 16" stars and 132 small 4" stars - sheesh!
 
 
I didn't do the triangle border - I thought it was too distracting.
I quilted a very simple all-over stipple in the center.  Sometimes simple is best and I'm still in love with stippling.
The outer 2 borders are quilted with a 1 1/2" straight line.
 
 
I entered it in our recent local quilt guild show in the Traditional category - I won first place...yay!
Then, the public voted and I received "People's Choice"....double yay!
Yes, I cried a bit.
 
 
It means so much to me to have not only my fellow quilters vote this quilt their favorite but to have the public also think it's beautiful.
I absolutely love this quilt - it's a keeper!
 
 
 
 For the backing I chose a pretty floral print.
 
 
 
 
 Are you entering any quilts in your county, state or local shows? 
 
 
 

26 comments:

  1. It is absolutely stunning!! So happy for you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it was so fun to just sit & sew for hours & hours - I miss that! xxoo

      Delete
  2. It is absolutely gorgeous and I can see why it was first place AND people's choice. I am new to quilting (about 10 months in) and I honestly can't imagine ever making something near this beautiful let alone entering anything in a fair....but it is a goal, lol. So who knows, maybe someday! Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay with it and you'll enter something in a show - it's really fun! Thank you for the compliments - I love what I do!

      Delete
  3. I am totally in love Kathy! This is the kind of quilt I can only dream of having the ambition and skill to make some day. Absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this is absolutely beautiful! No wonder you won first place, I would have voted too! Just perfect, great job on getting it finished :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so proud of you! For the perseverance in finishing this absolute stunning quilt and for the awards you received. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations.Itps just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt Kathy!! I love it. You are one talented lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally worth your long arm going down - that is a real work of art - a masterpiece. Congrats on the awards. Very deserving! Thanks for sharing, it gives us something to aspire to. Ha......maybe in my dreams. I don't really think I have that many lone stars in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh - thank you, my Florida friend! It was so fun to just sit & sew for hours, days & weeks!

      Delete
  9. That quilt is priceless, just beautiful. Do you plan on entering it in more shows?
    We had a pretty good lighting and rain storm last night Did Ennis get it.
    Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous!! I am a fellow American Jane fan. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE American Jane - your blog is wonderful, too! I need to cut out a scrappy Trip with these - yours is beautiful!

      Delete
  11. So beautiful, and I agree about the border. Love what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt, what fabric line did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a combination of American Jane lines, including Pot Luck and ABC - 123. Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Kathy, that's so cool!!!! Wow.... And to think that your quilt may never have gotten finished or made it to your quilt show or never been viewed by others had your longarm not had its fit. I think I need to shed a few tears too! Makes me wonder what opportunities I'm not seizing in my current roadblocks.... Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I guess that's one plus to a "down" machine! I'm so happy with it. Thank you for the compliments.... love you.

      Delete