Sunday, January 11

birch tree quilt

Last year some of my friends & I got together and decided to make exchange blocks for a "Birch Tree" quilt top.
 
 
 
You can purchase the pattern from Amanda Jean of Crazy Mom Quilts here.
Her patterns are very well written and easy to construct.
Each of us chose a solid background Kona fabric and made 20 blocks with that one solid.
I had the Valentine pink blocks.
 
 
Then we got together at a fall retreat hosted by Quilt Taffy and exchanged them.
Here they are in piles ready for choosing. 
Aren't they pretty?
 
 
I set mine together and had to show them off at the retreat
It was such a fun quilt block to make.
 
 
I was able to use up small bits of my scraps - very small bits!
I quilted mine with a single wave going horizontal.
 
 
 I didn't want much quilting because I have a scrumptious pink waffle minky on the back that I didn't want to smash with the quilting.
 
 
I had a funky piece of fabric for the binding that had all the block colors in it - oh, yeah!
 
 
This very bright, happy quilt is now living in Pennsylvania - they love it!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. I love it too!! I'm sure it's keeping them very cozy in PA....it's cold on the east coast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could use that here in Florida too! It's chilly also. Love that you found that colorful fabric for the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt! I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Love the colors, the pattern and the fat that you can use up some teeny scraps of favorite fabrics. Brilliant Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out so fabulous! I love all the colors and tiny pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun to do a swap with this pattern! I love bright colors. Your quilting was just right for it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! And the free-motion wavy line quilting is my go-to method. Works with almost anything

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this quilt! And, I just was letting my son watch The Lorax while I was doing his Albuterol treatment. The Truffula trees in the movie had trunks just like these on the quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This quilt was so fun to see in person at the retreat. It's a fun quilt! I love the way line quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turned out beautiful! I think Nancy and I will get together and make one of these. She has the pattern, we just need to get started! Thanks, Kathy o.

    ReplyDelete