Thursday, October 24

Metro Rings class....

Recently I was asked to teach a class at an adorable quilt shop in Lewisville, Idaho, out in the country, away from the crowds with cows watching through the fencing. 
A destination shop where people come to gather and chit chat and touch fabric and choose their next quilt project.
It was at "Olie and Evie's" shop.....owned and operated by Rhonda Walker.
The classroom is sunny, warm, inviting and a very happy place to hang out and create.
Thank you, Rhonda, for creating this space for us.

Rhonda and I settled on the "Metro Rings" quilt 


You can find this pattern and more here on their website.
We started from here:


And eventually got to this point:


There were a total of 24 students over the course of two 
days - it was busy!
They came from Utah, Washington, Oregon, Montana 
and Idaho.


Every single set of blocks reflected the personalities 
of the ladies.


We had fabric themes ranging from Halloween and Christmas to camping, farming, vintage, modern, batik and everything in between.  


 Thank you, Rhonda, for having design walls for us to play with our blocks. 


So many options on the block settings - this one has a modern feel with the one direction.


This setting is an "X".


The traditional "circle" setting with modern fabrics:
(I love Shanna's sewing shirt)


This is a masculine color way with grey's and blacks.


This student is experimenting with color placement. 
Half of her rings are red and the other half are blues - they will interlock. 



Happy blocks...


Our goal was to construct four complete blocks.
These are halves.


You all know how I feel about a cute pin cushion - absolutely darling beehive!


Basic Grey always works with a traditional block.


Happy students! 


Very classy colors, Debbie.


Most of the corner triangles were two different prints.

   
Some corner triangles are the same print.  Lovely.


Hmmmmm - my sister trying to decide on her block setting....she used a linen background.


 Four blocks - DONE!  
This will be a Halloween quilt, by my niece, Ally.


 Blue Feed Sack prints.....sweet.


 Such a happy, bright block.


Love the calming blues & coral colors on this one.


Here is my Downton Abby Metro Rings.
I started it 5 years ago and this class gave me the 
push to finish it.

 

I can't believe I found this perfect backing - 
the Downton Abby castle.



My finished "Swell Christmas" by Zen Chick quilt. 
(There should be snow on the ground...)


 This photo was taken in my yard......


...with the local long horns girls watching.....across the street.
I love Montana.


Thank you, Rhonda, Olie and Evie and beautiful ladies for spending the day with me sewing, giggling, chatting 
and just having fun.
I had a great time.....hope to see you all again soon.

On a side note.....if you were asking for the popcorn recipe Marjean brought to class....here you go:
one bag of microwave popcorn, popped
Melt some white chocolate melts and poor over the popcorn.
Spread the popcorn on parchment paper and lightly sprinkle with some kosher salt - let cool and eat!


2 comments:

  1. oh, I loved seeing Metro Rings in all those different fabrics!! So Fun!! And my hubby and I are hoping to retire in Idaho, so maybe I'll get to go to Lewiston to see the Ollie and Evie store in person (I've bought from her before.) Great job teaching all those ladies, and I love your finished quilts!! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun! I'm not familiar with this pattern.

    I love the longhorn picture. I have discovered that all cattle (cows?) have personality and are quite curious. I saw a car jump the curb and plow through a barbed wire fence. All the cows in the field had to rush over and check out the car and gape through the windows at the occupant.

    ReplyDelete