Friday, July 25

a 30's print retreat finish...

Last year I went to a retreat in lovely McCall, ID. 
It was hosted by Corrie & Des over at Quilt Taffy.
It was nothing short of amazing!
I'm going again this year - heels kicking in the air!
For three solid days I worked on one project - this 2" Trip Around the World quilt.
 
I had all the strips cut (130 of them) so all I had to do was sew, and sew, and sew!!!
I honestly thought I would go out of my mind sewing strips - I get bored easily with the same thing over and over. 
But, I was determined to finish it while I was there.
I used a very old pattern which was typed with a typewriter and had hand drawn pictures.  That's old!
The only thing I really had to pay attention to was keeping the piles in order by number - the rest was a piece of cake!
(I used little stickers with number on them)
 
 
Here is 1/2 of the top finished.
 
 
Some of the "rounds" have different prints, but they are within the same color.
 
 
The backing is a pretty purple 30's print.

 
peeking through asparagus plants...

 
I quilted it with an all-over cross-hatch.....love!

 
I took the photos at my neighbors home just up the road - love this chipped paint door.
 
 
Old things with flowers in them...pretty.
 

 
The hand binding is a sweet green/white stripe my friend, Barbara, gave me....she knows I love green and stripes.  (thank you)

 
I'm very much in love with my 30's Trip quilt - it's a snuggler!
 

 
Corrie & Des are hosting another retreat this year.
You can read all about it here.
There are still a few spots left in the first session - you really don't want to miss out!
 
 
 
Thank you, Danette, for letting me take pictures on your property...you're the best!

17 comments:

  1. oh this is just beautiful! I love it so, so much. I did a 30's Scrappy Trips quilt last year too, it's my favourite quilt! :-) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scrappy Trip might be my next one - I love 30's prints! Thanks for the compliment.

      Delete
  2. Love your quilt! Curious as to what type of batting you used that made it snuggly and not stiff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a Hobbs 80/20 - it's a soft one and washes up so nice. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Good to know...thanks. I really like all your work.

      Delete
  3. It's so beautiful!! And just lovely photos of it too!! Love it with the old barn, antiques, and the big tree! I had to pin one of them! :) Thanks for sharing!! Have a lovely day xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - thanks, Holly. I loved this photo shoot....perfect day, perfect setting! you have a lovely day, too. xxoo

      Delete
  4. Very pretty Kathy!
    I'm jealous....sounds like a great retreat, but too far for me this summer. Have fun and enjoy the rest of your summer.
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. so pretty, I love the soft look of all the colors

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you stuck with it! It's beautiful ... I love 30s fabric. That's a bunch of squares!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Design. Would love to try someday, but on a smaller scale - baby size. You did a wonderful job - love the quilting on it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowser's love the quilt. Your blog and pictures are always very nice.
    Any way you could do a tutorial on how to make that quilt? Would love to have the pattern.
    Have fun on your get away retreat.
    Thanks from Dillon , MT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful colors in your quilt, love the green stripe binding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I am just dying over this quilt Kathy! I love your choice of 30's prints and the quilting ... LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is beautiful Kathy!! I love 30's prints!! Congrats on an awesome finish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so much like you Kathy, I get bored with repetitive tasks, but look at the results! Certainly worth a little boredom I would say. This quilt is absolutely gorgeous. I love scrappy quilts and I love this trip around the world!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how wonderful! It is everything I love. You did a fantastic job!!

    ReplyDelete