Monday, May 1

whales and magic and stars...

My friend, Martha, from Missouri, made two quilts for her grandkids.
They are both so whimsical and perfect for little ones.
The "boy" quilt is created with just the right fabric collection, "Kujira & Star".....it's a Cotton & Steel design. 
You can find it here, at Fabric.com. 
 
 
I love how Martha created these large 1/2 square blocks and used the colors to make the center star.
Then to add to the charm of the quilt, she appliqued a whale in the center along with the name of the collection and the message that was printed on the selvage. 
(I love how the Cotton & Steel designers write messages on their selvages).
 
 
I quilted bubbles in the outer border and waves throughout the entire quilt.
In the center star I quilted straight lines on the star points and quilted a water design around the whale.
 

 
The next "girl" quilt is from one of my favorite lines of fabric, ever....."Magic" by Sarah Jane
You can find it here, too.
 
 
I think every little girl needs a quilt out of this line -
 it truly is magical.
I outlined the dragons and unicorns and kids playing in the top & bottom border prints.
 
 
The center star was quilted with straight line quilting so it would stand out with it's messages in the center.
 
 
I quilted the rest of the quilt with pretty swirls.
I tell you what - I felt like I had been transformed into another world while I was quilting them.
 
 
And if that isn't enough......look what she pieced for the back of both quilts!
 
 
Another one of my favorite lines, "Thicket". 
Oh, how I love these little woodland creatures.
You can find some of the pieces from this line here,
at the Fat Quarter Shop.
 
 
I wish I had better photos of the entire quilt, but I didn't have a place large enough and I was standing on the piano bench just to get a better shot and these are 90" square quilts.
Makes me want to start piecing some "magical" quilts for the little people in my life.
Beautiful work - Martha.

11 comments:

  1. What treasures! I love the fabrics and quilting. Each one is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are truly amazing - I LOVED working on them!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the love:) and Thank You for your amazing quilting skills:)
    Your quilting "made" these quilts!
    Martha❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilts and I just love how you quilted each one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are such sweet quilts - her grandkids will LOVE them. Thank you for the compliments.

      Delete
  4. Those are GORGEOUS! Love all the fabrics, the backing and your quilting of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to get busy and send you some more quilts so you can work your magic! Love these and love love love your work. You are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilting just puts the finishing touch on these quilts!! I love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. I loved working on these two.

      Delete
  7. Outstanding quilts and quilting...made we wish we still had little ones in our family....

    ReplyDelete