Sunday, July 28

"steps to the alter"

Years ago Better Homes & Gardens - American Patchwork & Quilting, published a quilt pattern called, "Steps to the Alter".  They had made their quilt modeled after an antique 1940's - '50's quilt, and it was a beauty. 
I just had to have one for myself. 
I made mine out of 1930's reproduction fabrics with the alternating blocks out of solids. 
It was one of those quilts that you just can't stop working on.
I would absolutely make another one - that's how much fun it was. 
I've used mine and washed it a few times - has that worn, crinkly look that I love.
 


We recently put my sweet white iron bed together in the guest room so of course that's where this quilt went. 
The hollyhocks are in full bloom just outside the window.....quilt, antique bed, hollyhocks.....
I love you, and you, and you!

 
I simply stippled the scrappy 1 3/4" print block areas and cross-hatched the solid blocks. 
Muslin backing and scrappy reds for the binding.

 
 I love the simple shape of the bed frame.

 

 
My sister, Vicki, (hi, sister), gave me this magnificent crocheted coverlet.  It goes perfectly with my quilt. 
Thank you again and again!  Love my sister!

 
The guest room is ready - come visit!

19 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I love that quilt......and the bed.... And the hollyhocks!!! So are you taking reservations? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bags are packed! :o) Lol!!
    Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous, as is
    your hollyhocks and iron bed. :o)
    Your new profile picture is adorable!
    Love love love your hair!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot tell you how proud I am of you Kathy! You warm my heart with your gratitude, confidence, talent, and charm! Love, love, love your blog... Makes me want to wear a sign that reads - "This is my very own sister!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy!! How quaint! I'll be right there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quilt. I started a BH&G quilt in the late 70's, moved and lost the magazine, had to look it up on microfiche, only to find that the information I needed hadn't even been included in the directions, decided it would be my "new millennium quilt", and then managed to finish it about 10 years early!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it is so beautiful and sweet!! Love how it looks on the bed and the crocheted coverlet is the sweetest touch!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather. If only I could crochet like that....I know you can!

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodiness! That coverlet is My tablecloth! Made by Rogers great aunt! The pattern came from the side of a cereal box. I still have the pattern somewhere. Love the whole room! Wondered if you still had that bed. Gave a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I still have this lovely bed - wouldn't give it up for anything! My sister bought this coverlet at an antique shop in Washington - maybe it is your aunt's! Wonderful history!

      Delete
  8. Whoops! HAVE a great day! Darn Nook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a beautiful quilt!! And bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Amy. I go in this room and just smile!

      Delete
  10. I know it isnt Aunt Marys because that one is in my cedar chest. I doubt if she made two because it was a herculean effort for her. She was legally blind. Im so glad yours is in such a good place with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks just great. Will you come decorate my house, please? I planted hollyhocks this year!

    ReplyDelete