Sunday, March 22

Hexagon Quilt....

My non-sewing sister, Vicki, went shopping on the internet a couple of years ago, for some fabrics to give me as a gift. 
She is miserable in a fabric shop. 
She starts to hyperventilate when she enters a room with a sewing machine. 
She literally gets hives when we go to quilt shows - remember that summer in Preston, ID, Vicki? 
We had to find some Benadryl - FAST!
So - when she said she had purchased some fabric for me.........for no other reason than she loves me....I was shocked pleasantly surprised! 
She found these darling, "Color Me Retro", prints - 1/2 yard cuts of the entire line, and sent them to me. 

 
I cried when I opened them because I know how painful that must have been for her to shop for fabric. 
Gosh - I love my sister.


I knew I wanted  a quilt out of them which showcased the prints.
So I chose a giant hexagon.
I purchased this Hex 'n More ruler - it's wonderful! 
 
 
I asked my friend, Andrea in Pennsylvania, to piece it for me.
(If I try to piece something I know it will take at least 5 more years to get around to it!  That's just way too long to wait for something this cute).
Andrea used this "Candy Dish" pattern for the setting instructions.
Here is Andrea's blog post about her process.
This is my quilt top hanging on a door in her home.
I feel like I'm sitting in her pretty home watching her piece my quilt top!
 
 
Andrea did a beautiful job, as always, on my quilt top. 
It's so fun working with her.
She will sew a quilt top for you, too!
Just contact her through her blog.
 
I have a flannel backing and used 80/20 batting - I wanted a "snuggler".
 
 
I used a bracelet print from Lizzy House for the binding.
 
 
I quilted an all-over swirl pattern.
 

 It turned out to be a full size quilt - perfect size!
 
Thank you, my sister - Vicki, and Andrea for this wonderful quilt!
I love you both.....
 

26 comments:

  1. LOVE.LOVE.LOVE!! What a wonderful gift and Andrea did a lovely job piecing it! Fantastic colors and shown off perfectly with the hexies!! I does look like a snuggler :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like sister love....and friend love! Thanks, Gail.

      Delete
  2. I am so happy that we are showcasing fabrics in larger sized pieces. This quilt is so perfect. I wish I had your sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I love a pattern that shows off the prints...this was the perfect one for that!

      Delete
  3. Love the fabrics and love the setting and love sisters!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all worked together so beautifully - love ALL of it!

      Delete
  4. What a great quilt! I love piecing for you - you always pick the greatest patterns and fabrics! The quilting is fabulous, as usual, and so are the pictures. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love "playing quilts" with you, too. We make a pretty good team. love you, back

      Delete
  5. Ah thank you sweet sister! I remember being really shocked and disappointed when the tiny purchase came in the mail. I knew that I was ignorant to anything whatsoever in the world of fabric, but I had no idea that such a small amount could be turned into such a large quilt! You are positively brilliant! Proud to be your sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - thank you, over and over, my sweet sister! I love this quilt!

      Delete
  6. Now that's what I call Team Work :)! Love the quilt - it is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - love this kind of team work! thanks for the compliments.....

      Delete
  7. What a fun story! And as for the quilt pattern, it took me awhile to 'see' the stars in your quilt. It was after I looked at the pattern photo that I went back and looked at yours and went, "Ah, hah!" Feel free to share your sis any time!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're funny - my sister would love another "sis" in her life! I'll send the message along!

      Delete
  8. What a sweet sister!!! Mine only asks for quilts but never offers to buy the fabric. Still holding out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there Marianne - maybe one day your sister will go shopping for you, too!

      Delete
  9. Sew pretty and what a lovely surprise :)
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A complete surprise - but, that's my sister!

      Delete
  10. Lucky you Kathy! For having such a wonderful sister and such a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I do have both a beautiful quilt & sister....thanks!

      Delete
  11. No doubt about it, simple quilts let the fabrics shine and I love this one! Beautiful colors, and I love the backing, binding and quilting. Your sis must really love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh...I love this one!! Way to go on the prints Vicki!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did good, huh? You & Vicki really know how to pick out the fabrics!

      Delete