Thursday, March 5

broken heart quilt

A dear friend of mine recently lost her son.  
My heart hurts so badly for her.
We have sons' the same age so as a mom I have been at a loss for words.
I wanted to comfort her, but I didn't know how.
I would bring her a casserole, but we live 2,500 miles apart.
I wanted to go for a long walk with her, but couldn't.
I wanted to sit with her and let her scream and cry and pound her fists and throw things, but again, I couldn't.
But what I can do is make her a quilt. 



That's what we, as quilt makers, do to comfort 
the people we love.
I made her a heart quilt.



She calls it her "Broken Heart" quilt - because her heart is broken.
She can snuggle with it when she feels the need for a hug.
She can scream into it when she feels the 
anger enveloping her.
She can throw it when she wishes she could 
toss the pain away.
She can punch it when she feels like hurting something.
But, it will always be there to comfort her 
when she needs love.
I hugged the quilt before I sent it - and I might have 
shed a few tears on this quilt, too.


I love you, my friend.....



The pattern is from the Buggy Barn book, "Gone Crazy", called, "Heather".

11 comments:

  1. dear kathy, a lovely memorable post for a very sad reason. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it's a tough thing to have to go through.

      Delete
  2. Really sweet and lovely...you are doing what you can. I like your choice of soft colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - the soft colors just seem to fit my friend's personality. She's a sweetheart.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful gift to give your friend. I'm so sorry for her loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I can't imagine a loss of this nature.

      Delete
  4. Very well said. Your quilt is better than a casserole any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - the words are hard when love it lost.

      Delete
  5. I'm sure it means more than you will ever know

    ReplyDelete